Akhtar to appeal against ban

Updated: 02 April 2008 16:39 IST

Shoaib Akhtar says he won't take the 5-year ban imposed on him lying down and will appeal against the verdict by Friday.

Akhtar to appeal against ban

Islamabad:

Controversial speedster Shoaib Akhtar on Wednesday said he would not take the five-year ban imposed on him lying down and will appeal against the verdict by Friday.

"I have been victimised personally by the Board. This ban is unacceptable because I have committed no big crime. Even if there was any instance of me being undisciplined, the Board should be clear about it," Akhtar said a day after PCB took the unprecedented action having found the bowler guilty on six charges of code of conduct breaches.

The ban came as Akhtar was already serving a two-year probation from last year when he was banned for 13 matches and fined 3.4 million rupees for hitting team-mate Mohammad Asif with a bat in South Africa.

Akhtar, 32, said if the Board rejected his appeal, he would approach the courts to get the ban overturned.

"I have always given my 100 per cent for my country. If I am not fit it has nothing to do with discipline. This ban is unjust and I intend to fight it. I will not go down without a fight," he told a press conference here.

He said the Board had made an issue of his fitness but he was not the first fast bowler to have fitness problems.



Topics : Cricket Sreesanth
Related Articles
BCCI Maintains Position on Lodha Panel Reforms Ahead of Supreme Court's Verdict
BCCI Maintains Position on Lodha Panel Reforms Ahead of Supreme Court's Verdict
Yuvraj Singh's Wedding Celebrations Continue, Rohit Sharma, TV Stars Join
Yuvraj Singh's Wedding Celebrations Continue, Rohit Sharma, TV Stars Join
Women's Asia Cup T20: India Bowl Out Nepal For 21, Win By 99 Runs
Women's Asia Cup T20: India Bowl Out Nepal For 21, Win By 99 Runs
Show Comments
Advertisement