Akhtar files petition against 18-month ban

Updated: 03 July 2008 16:59 IST

Pakistan fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar has challenged his 18 months ban at a Lahore High Court.

New Delhi:

Pakistan fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar has challenged his 18 months ban at a Lahore High Court.

"We have filed the writ petition, challenging the ban and hope the hearing will be done in the next couple of days," Akhtar's lawyer Abid Minto said Monday.

An appellate tribunal of the Pakistan Cricket Board had already reduced fast bowler's ban from five years to 18 months, as well as a fine of seven million Indian rupees (US$102,900) earlier this month.

A disciplinary committee of the PCB originally banned Akhtar for five years on April 1 on a number of disciplinary charges.

"We have termed the decision of disciplinary committee and appellate tribunal illegal and my client wants to play for his country," Minto said.

Akhtar's 18 months ban started from April 1 and will end on September 30, 2009.

Topics : Cricket Sreesanth
Related Articles
Cricketer Harmanpreet Kaur Offered DSP Post By Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh
Cricketer Harmanpreet Kaur Offered DSP Post By Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh
ICC Women's World Cup Final: Mithali Raj Admits To Wilting Under Pressure, But Proud Of The Team
ICC Women's World Cup Final: Mithali Raj Admits To Wilting Under Pressure, But Proud Of The Team
Twitter Hails India Women Despite World Cup Final Loss
Twitter Hails India Women Despite World Cup Final Loss
Show Comments
Advertisement