The Ashes: Mitchell Johnson on cloud nine as Australia maul England in first Test

Mitchell Johnson took five wickets as Australia dismissed England for 179 in the second innings late on Sunday to claim their first Test victory in 10 matches.

Updated: December 04, 2013 20:08 IST
  • Total Shares

Brisbane: Mitchell Johnson

England suffered one of their heaviest-ever Ashes Test defeats on Sunday when Australia trounced them by 381 runs at the Gabba, going one-up in the series with a day to spare. (Scorecard)

The tourists collapsed under the searing pace of Mitchell Johnson and were all out for 179 late on the fourth day after they were skittled out for 136 off 52.4 overs in the first innings.

It was England's second-biggest loss at the Gabba, after the tourists were earlier trounced by 384 runs in 2002.

Johnson, the match of the man, finished with five for 42 in the second innings and nine wickets for 103 for the match, along with his spirited knock of 64 in Australia's first innings.

Alastair Cook's dismissal for 65, six balls after the resumption following a heavy afternoon hailstorm, signalled the end for England.

The England skipper tried to cut spinner Nathan Lyon, only to edge to wicketkeeper Brad Haddin, exposing his team's tail-end to the fired-up Australian bowlers.

Wicketkeeper Matt Prior followed two overs later, caught close in by David Warner off Lyon for four. Stuart Broad (4) and Graeme Swann (0) went in the next over from Johnson.

Another burst of rain kept the players off the field for 45 minutes and then Chris Tremlett fell to a short ball from Ryan Harris for seven.

James Anderson was the last wicket to fall, top-edging the ball with Johnson completing the catch off his own bowling. Joe Root remained unbeaten on 26 off 86 balls.

England looked at one stage as if they might be saved by the weather, when a fierce hailstorm drove the players from the field and an early tea was called with the tourists on 142 for four.

But it was only a brief respite and the relentless Australians pushed on to a well-deserved victory ahead of the second Test starting in Adelaide on December 5.

Kevin Pietersen and Cook had safely negotiated the opening hour of the day. But Johnson struck two balls after the first drinks break, when Pietersen injudiciously hooked a bouncer straight to backward square leg.

Substitute fielder Chris Sabburg, on for Harris, claimed the catch to a huge roar from the home crowd.

With England struggling to save the match, it was an inopportune choice of shot by Pietersen, who scored 26 off 52 balls to go with his 18 in the first innings.

England's situation worsened when Ian Bell was beaten by Peter Siddle's extra bounce in the 54th over and edged to Haddin for 32.

Three years ago in Brisbane, Cook frustrated Australia with his unconquered 235 as England saved the match with their second-innings 517 for one after trailing the hosts by 221 on first innings.

England drew that match and went on to win the series 3-1.

But the odds were against them this time. Australia have not lost a Test at the Gabba since 1988 and the tourists would have had to make Ashes history to win. Their previous highest winning fourth-innings Ashes score was 332 for seven in Melbourne in 1928.

The highest winning chase at the Gabba remains Australia's 236 for seven against the West Indies in 1951.

For the latest Cricket news , Score, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and get the NDTV Cricket app for Android or iOS

Leave a comment