Grand slam titles: Seven (Wimbledon 2000, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008 US Open 2000, 2001)
* In 1997 became the first woman since Pam Shriver in 1978 and first unseeded female since 1958 to reach the U.S. Open final on her debut before losing to Martina Hingis.
* Won the Australian and French Open mixed doubles with compatriot Justin Gimelstob in 1998 and the US and French Open doubles with sister Serena in 1999.
* Bagged her first grand slam singles titles in 2000 at Wimbledon and the US Open, also winning the grass court doubles title. Won a gold medal at the Sydney Olympics in singles and doubles, with Serena, joining Helen Wills (1924) as the only woman to take both medals in the same Games.
* Repeated her grand slam success in 2001, successfully defending her Wimbledon title against Justine Henin and defeating Serena in the US Open final.
* Became the world number one for the first time in her career in February 2002 but then became the first woman to lose five successive grand slam finals from Wimbledon 2002 to Wimbledon 2003. Four of the losses were to Serena.
* Won her first grand slam title in almost four years, when seeded a lowly 14th she came through to beat Lindsay Davenport 4-6 7-6(4) 9-7 in the Wimbledon final.
* Surpassed her own record of being the lowest seed ever to win Wimbledon when two years later, seeded 23, she defeated Marion Bartoli to become only the sixth woman to capture four or more Wimbledon titles.
* Captured the Wimbledon singles crown for the fifth time in 2008 with a victory over her sister Serena Williams.