Melbourne:Tennis Australia will hire a security consultant to investigate potential illegal gambling on matches and player conduct at next year's Australian Open.
"These measures are designed to ensure that we address the issue of player/tennis integrity generally and illegal gambling specifically," Tennis Australia chief executive Steve Wood said in a statement on Wednesday.
"And that the standard security review we undertake on an ongoing basis will address potential vulnerabilities."
Tennis has been hit in recent months by gambling controversies.
On Monday, France's Arnaud Clement said he refused money in the past to lose a match, but would not elaborate, fearing reprisals. His comments followed an investigation by online betting exchange Betfair into suspicious betting on a match at last week's ATP St Petersburg Open.
And in an unprecedented move, Betfair voided bets on a match in Poland in August when fourth-ranked Nikolay Davydenko withdrew against 87th-ranked Martin Vassallo Arguello in the third set, citing a foot injury.
Unusually large amounts were wagered on the lowly-ranked Argentine throughout the match, even when he lost the first set. The ATP is still investigating that match.
Wood said Australian officials on the illegal gambling working party would liaise with the ATP, meet with local police and review security ahead of the first Grand Slam of 2008, which begins on January 14.
"While we have never had a reported match-fixing incident in Australia, were taking the situation seriously as its an emerging issue for tennis administrators worldwide," said Wood.