Rio de Janeiro: World No.1 Rafael Nadal has confirmed he will play in next week's Rio Open after recovering from a back injury.
The 27-year-old winner of 13 Grand Slam titles had been sidelined since his loss to Stanislas Wawrinka in the final of the Australian Open last month, reports Xinhua.
"I have a good feeling about competing in Brazil," Nadal said during a press conference Friday.
"I have a great connection with the fans here. This country is very special and I hope to enjoy the experience."
Nadal will play his first match at the inaugural ATP tour event Wednesday against a yet-to-be-determined opponent.
"We'll have to see how it goes. I hope I can tolerate it," the Spaniard said referring to his back injury.