Henin-Hardenne pulls out of Wimbledon

<img border='0' align='left' title=' ' src='http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/images/thumbnail/ver1/j/justinehenin.jpg' class='caption'> Justine Henin-Hardenne withdrew from the Wimbledon on Tuesday. She is suffering from a lingering viral infection.

Updated: February 25, 2007 10:04 IST
  • Total Shares


The top two players in the women's rankings won't be at Wimbledon this year. A day after second-ranked Kim Clijsters pulled out with a wrist injury, fellow Belgian and No. 1 Justine Henin-Hardenne withdrew yesterday with a lingering viral infection. "I am sad and disappointed to announce that I will not be able to participate in Wimbledon this year," said Henin-Hardenne, who lost in the finals in 2001. "My physicians have given me strict orders that several more weeks of rest are necessary to ensure a full recovery," she said in a statement released by the Wimbledon referee's office. Henin-Hardenne, the 2003 French Open champion, lost in the second round at Roland Garros this year to Tathiana Garbin of Italy 7-5, 6-4. It was her first match after missing six weeks with a viral infection. "Since the day I walked off the court after the semifinals at Wimbledon last year, I have been looking forward to competing on the grass again," Henin-Hardenne said. "Unfortunately, my dream of holding the Wimbledon trophy must wait another year. I look forward to an early and complete recovery and wish all my colleagues the best of luck." Clijsters, who had missed the French Open, said she will have wrist surgery and will most likely be out for three months. The absence of the Belgians leaves Russia's Anastasia Myskina, winner of the French Open, as the potential top seeded player at Wimbledon. Myskina, who has never advanced past the fourth round at Wimbledon, is currently No. 3. (AP)

For the latest Sports news , like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and get the NDTV Cricket app for Android or iOS

  • Tennis

Leave a comment