New Delhi :The All India Tennis Association on Thursday dismissed media reports that the star quartet of Mahesh Bhupathi, Leander Paes, Somdev Devvarman and Rohan Bopanna has threatened to pull out of the Commonwealth Games due to non-clearance of Davis Cup dues and lack of financial assistance for preparations.
According to a report the players wrote to AITA Secretary General Anil Khanna that if their dues were not cleared by September, they will not play in the October 3 to 14 Delhi Games.
The letter was reportedly signed by Bhupathi, Paes, Somdev and Bopanna. However, Khanna rubbished the claim.
"No player has threatened to pull out of Commonwealth Games. This is all wrong information. There is no issue as far as Davis Cup is concerned. All the dues are cleared. Even the dues of the last tie against Russia have been paid," Khanna said.
"Players actually have written specifically that they are satisfied by the Davis Cup arrangements. As far as the assistance for the CWG is concerned, we are in talks with the Sports Ministry and the issue will be resolved soon," he added.
AITA also claimed that the government has acknowledged the concerns expressed by elite players and is ready to release funds for them also.
"I am pleased that the government has decided to take a practical view as has been suggested by AITA for the past one year and the government is going to provide financial assistance to the elite players as well," Khanna said in a statement, released early in the day.
The sum that government had earmarked for training of the tennis players was Rs 21 crore but according to sources only one fourth has been spent till date.
The money so far has been spent for organising CWG preparatory camps and sending players abroad for training and competition.
The players are required to present their tickets, hotel bills and other expense bills to get reimbursements.
Till date Somdev, Bopanna, Paes and Sania Mirza have not got a single penny while Bhupathi has been paid a small amount according to media reports.