Pakistan and New Zealand have been drawn to meet in an Asia-Oceania Group II semifinal in Pakistan from July 9 to 11 but New Zealand has contacted the ITF to express security concerns, Tennis New Zealand operations manager Tracy Hall said on Monday.
"We spoke to the ITF last December when the draw came out and they said they would not review the situation until both Pakistan and New Zealand got through the first round," Hall told the New Zealand Press Association. "As of today we have e-mailed the ITF asking about the process and what we need to do to have it reviewed."
Hall said the ITF had moved the Pakistan vs. Hong Kong first-round match to Hong Kong "because it was too dangerous" but might be less inclined to switch venues for a semifinal match.
"Player safety is a massive concern for the ITF in regards to Pakistan," Hall said. "But then again, this will be a semifinal match.
"Against Hong Kong, Pakistan probably thought they would beat them away whereas New Zealand are a different story."
Pakistan has been a virtual a "no go zone" for foreign sporting teams since gunmen attacked the Sri Lankan test cricket team's bus at Lahore in March last year. Several Sri Lanka players were injured and six policemen were killed in the attack.
Pakistan subsequently lost its status as co-host for the 2011 World Cup of cricket and was forced to organize its "home" cricket series against Australia and New Zealand in the United Arab Emirates.