In what comes as a major embarrassment for India, the International Olympic Committee has banned Indian Olympic Association on Tuesday. Here is taking a look at what will be the direct repercussions of this decision.
New Delhi: In what comes as a major embarrassment for India, the International Olympic Committee banned Indian Olympic Association on Tuesday. Here is taking a look at what will be the direct repercussions of this decision.
1) Indian athletes will not be allowed to take part in international events - Olympics (next in 2016) and Asian Games (next in 2014).
2) If concessions are made at all, Indian athletes will then take part under an international flag of independent participants, not the tri-colour.
3) Every Olympic body in a country receives some grant to develop sports. It also receives some expertise on a number of aspects ranging from athletes' development to R&D expertise. This will stop completely.
4) De-recognition means a lot of shame for a country in the international scenario. This is not just in the realms of sports but also transgresses to other fields like economics and social.
5) India loses rights to host or even bid for staging of any Olympic or Olympic-related event.
6) Indian officials will not be part of IOC meetings.
7) The suspension also means that the elections of the Indian Olympic Association scheduled on December 5 are of no relevance now.
While the initial reactions are varied, most believe that a breakthrough will be achieved, looking forward. They however also question why a solution could not be fostered in the preceding weeks.For the latest Sports news, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and get the NDTV Cricket app for Android or iOS
|India to host Under-17 FIFA World Cup in 2017 India warded off stiff challenges from Ireland & South Africa to win the rights from FIFA.|
|New FIFA 2014 World Cup ball 'Brazuca' unveiled The word "Brazuca" has a is used as a term for Brazilians living abroad.|
|Der Kock: South Africa's baby-faced pink panther The southpaw featured in a 152-run opening stand with Amla to lay the foundation.|
|I am not bowling slow: Varun Aaron The speedster feels he has not lost any pace despite his injuries.|
|Tiger Woods ready to end drought in 2014 After a 2013 season that included five victories, the world No. 1 says his goals haven't changed.|