Kochi: Rendezvous Sports World Pvt Ltd, one of the co-owners of the terminated Kochi Tuskers Kerala IPL franchise, is planning to go to court next week in a late bid to revive the team. The Kochi franchise was annulled by the BCCI in September 2011 for their failure to provide a fresh bank guarantee to the board.
"Monday or Tuesday we will file a case in court," Prashanth Mishra, a Rendezvous official, told ESPNcricinfo. "We want to be a part of IPL season 5."
However, since the termination the BCCI has not only cashed the existing bank guarantee, worth approximately $30.39 million, but has also included a number of former Tuskers players in Saturday's player auction. That means even if the court were to grant a stay on Kochi's termination, they would still be without players.
When asked why the company had waited so long before deciding to file a case, Mishra said their intention had always been to try and get the team reinstated, but that it took them longer than expected to get a new bank guarantee in place. "We wanted to make sure we have no problems in terms of funds, so that we can run the franchise for many years to come." He also said it would be inappropriate to discuss their plans on how they would sign players at this stage, but did say the owners were resigned to losing some of their key players from last year.