Board of Control for Cricket in India officials have ruled out any threat to Sri Lankan cricketers in the upcoming Indian Premier League in the wake of the increasing anti-Sri Lanka protests in Tamil Nadu. Several media reports indicated Lankan players would be asked to stay away from the southern city.
However IPL top boss Rajiv Shukla says Sri Lankan players faced no threats heading into the IPL. "If there were any problems to arise during the tournament, it would be dealt with at that time," Shukla said.
Thriteen Sri Lankan cricketers play for the nine IPL franchises. Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara captain the Delhi Daredevils and the Sunrisers Hyderabad, respectively. Pune Warriors have two Lankans in their ranks with spinner Ajantha Mendis and all-rounder Angelo Mathews.
Royal Challengers Bangalore too would be affected if the Lankans stayed away as they have Muttiah Muralitharan and Tillekaratne Dilshan in their squad. Lasith Malinga spearheads the Mumbai Indians' pace attack.
Earlier in February, Tamil Nadu chief minister J Jayalalithaa had cancelled the Asian Athletics Championships to be held in Chennai in July, saying Lankan players had no place in the state.
Story first published on: Tuesday, 19 March 2013 15:24 IST