I didn't see myself in Indian 2015 WC team, so quit: Tendulkar

Tendulkar announced his retirement from one-day cricket in December last year, bringing to an end a glorious 23-year-old career in the One-day format during which he rewrote numerous batting records.

Reported by: NDTVSports
Last updated on Tuesday, 05 February, 2013 11:15 IST
  • Total Shares

Mumbai: Legendary cricketer Sachin Tendulkar said on NDTV Coca Cola's Support My School Campaign here that the reason he chose to retire from the ODI format was because he did not see himself in the 2015 World Cup team.

Asked why he chose to quit the ODI format and continue in Tests, Sachin said he thought a formidable unit should defend the World Cup title in Australia and New Zealand. "I felt in 2015 when we go to Australia and New Zealand we should be fully prepared to lift the trophy again. I don't see myself playing in the 2015 World Cup and that's why I felt I should back off and the team should move ahead and form a balance, formidable combination for the 2015 World Cup."

He was on stage with NDTV's Vikram Chandra and actor Rahul Bose as part of a 12-hour telethon and when asked, in a lighter vein, if he considered quitting Tests instead of ODI, smiled before explaining his reasons. The actor standing next to him, an accomplished rugby player himself, though said it was a good decision and that the Test format is the true format.

Sachin has established himself as a true champion in both formats and has amassed over 34,000 runs in all. He has 100 centuries in international cricket as well and while the numbers may be far beyond players in the current list of top-scorers, Sachin said he felt the title defence of the 50-over World Cup should be left on the best combination of players.

Story first published on: Monday, 04 February 2013 21:11 IST

For the latest Cricket news, Score, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and get the NDTV Cricket app for Android or iOS

Leave a comment