New Delhi: Yes, India boasted of the longest list of Olympic medals going into the qualifiers. Yes, India had the home advantage. No however surprising it may be now, the Indian team did not evoke confidence at the beginning of the tournament. Yet, Indian men managed to do what they couldn't four years back. A 6-point look at the team's journey towards securing an Olympic berth.
1) Indian men announce their intentions by thrashing Singapore by 15 goals.
2) Indian team offers another goal-fest by downing Italy 8-1.
3) Hosts take pot-shot at the French goal by scoring 6 goals against 2 hit at theirs.
4) Poland managed to score two goals against India but also conceded 4 to give full points to the opposition.
5) India's unbeaten run continued when Canada fought bravely but only to go down 3-2. India secured a rather easy place for the final against France
6) Sandeep Singh was the main striker coming into the final match of the qualifiers, for India. And he proved he was a determined fighter as he propelled his team with five of the eight goals scored against France on Sunday.
Story first published on: Monday, 27 February 2012 01:05 IST