Karachi :The Pakistan government is having second thoughts on sending the national hockey team for next year's World Cup in New Delhi as it is not too convinced about the security situation in India, a media report claimed on Friday.
According to a report in the "Dawn", which quoted an unnamed senior federal government official, the Pakistan government has expressed its concern over the security of the national hockey team.
The report said it would be giving top priority to the matter before issuing a No Objection Certificates (NOCs) to the squad for participation in the event, slated to be held in New Delhi from February 28 to March 13.
Pakistan qualified for the World Cup after winning a qualifying tournament in France earlier this month.
"Both countries (Pakistan and India) have witnessed turbulent diplomatic ties during the last several decades and especially after the Mumbai attacks. However, we will have to assess the security situation in India through our High Commission in New Delhi before sending out the squad to the host country," the senior official was quoted as saying.
"The security situation is not good in the entire region. Still assuring foolproof security for the Pakistan hockey team will be the Federal Government's top priority," he added.
Meanwhile, the Federal Minister for Sports Pir Aftab Shah Jilani said, "players security is a concern for us and the ministry will be assessing all the aspects, including the political milieu at the time, before the issuance of the NOCs."
"The Ministry of Sports will certainly seek the report and advice of the Interior Ministry and the Foreign Office," he added.
"The security of all the players or officials who will be travelling to India in the near future will remain on the priority list of the government."