Paris: Fernando Gonzalez of Chile has withdrawn from the French Open because of a knee injury.
A semifinalist at the French Open two years ago, Gonzalez said on his Twitter account "it's a shame, but I'm doing everything possible to come back and feel better."
The clay-court Grand Slam tournament begins Sunday in Paris.
Gonzalez, once ranked No. 5, has dropped to No. 370 in the ATP rankings after surgery on his right hip. He returned last month following an eight-month absence but retired at Challenger tournaments in Prague and Bordeaux because of his ailing knee.
The ATP said Gonzalez is likely to be sidelined for at least three weeks. He will be replaced in the main draw by Brian Dabul of Argentina.