London:World motorsport chief Max Mosley welcomed on Thursday his victory in his legal action against a British newspaper which alleged he took part in a Nazi-style orgy, saying it "nailed the Nazi lie."
In a statement issued shortly after a High Court judge ruled in his favour in a privacy suit against the News of the World tabloid, he said he hoped the verdict would stop such "invasive and salacious" journalism in future.
In his ruling, judge David Eady agreed that there had been "no evidence" of Nazi-style behaviour, adding that Mosley was "hardly exaggerating when he says that his life was ruined" by the story.
"This judgment has nailed the Nazi lie upon which the News of the World sought to justify their disgraceful intrusion into my private life," said the 68-year-old head of the Federation Internationale del'Automobile (FA).
"By law we are all entitled to have our privacy respected. The News of the World invaded my privacy, dreamt up the most offensive headline possible, and decided that I should not be contacted before publication to prevent me asking the court for the injunction I would have been entitled to.
"They and their lawyers have then conducted this case so as to case maximum embarrassment in the hope that I would be discouraged from continuing," added Mosley, son of 1930s British fascist leader Sir Oswald Mosley.
The newspaper headlined its story: F1 boss has sick Nazi orgy with 5 hookers".
Mosley added: "I hope my case will help deter newspapers in the UK from pursuing this type of invasive and salacious journalism.
"I have learnt first hand how devastating an invasion of privacy can be and how readily papers like the News of the World will destroy lives in the knowledge that few of their victims will dare sue them.
He added that the 60,000 pounds (120,000 dollars, 76,000 euros) awarded in damages to him would be given to the FIA Foundation "to further their work for road safety and the environment."