Brussels: The Belgian Grand Prix has won an extension through to 2015, Etienne Davignon, chairman of organisers Spa Grand Prix, said Thursday after signing a contract with the region of Wallonia and Formula One officials.
The current deal for the race at circuit at the legendary Spa-Francorchamp circuit expired after this year's race scheduled for September 2.
No details of the extension were revealed but Belgium's Belga news agency quoted the Wallonian minister of finance, Jean-Claude Marcourt, as saying the value of the contract had fallen, though he did not specify by how much.
The race's future had been in some doubt after Formula One ringmaster Bernie Ecclestone said in April that a race in France could make a return from next year and be held in alternative years with Belgium.
Marcourt said the French had not followed up on that proposal and hence the Belgian contract was being extended.