Berlin: Michael Schumacher on Tuesday voiced his support at the decision to cancel the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix due to the deadly political protests in the Gulf state.
The seven-time champion, in his second season for Mercedes since coming out of retirement, described the move as a "good one because the people there have concerns other than Formula One".
"These issues naturally take priority," the German F1 legend who won the inaugural Bahrain GP in 2004, added.
Schumacher's comments summed up the general mood from drivers and teams at Monday's announcement which was triggered by the recent civil unrest on the streets of Bahrain which has left several dead.
Explaining the cancellation Bahrain Crown Prince HRH Prince Salman bin Hamad Al-Khalifa said: "After the events of the past week, our nation's priority is on overcoming tragedy, healing divisions and rediscovering the fabric that draws this country together; reminding the world of the very best that Bahrain is capable of as a nation once again united."
The 2011 season will now get underway with the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne on March 27 with the fourth and final round of pre-season testing to be held in Barcelona on March 8-11.
No date has been set for a possible rescheduling of the Bahrain race later this year.
Red Bull driver Mark Webber believes the extra delay in getting the 2011 season underway won't pose any problems.
The Australian, third in last year's title race, told BBC Sport: "I don't think the extra two weeks will make a huge difference.
"It's the same for everybody. We are always prepared to race in two weeks."