Rovers revival frustrates Blackpool

Blackburn fought back from two goals down to rescue a 2-2 draw against local rivals Blackpool at Ewood Park on Saturday.

Updated: March 20, 2011 12:15 IST
  • Total Shares

London: Blackburn fought back from two goals down to rescue a 2-2 draw against local rivals Blackpool at Ewood Park on Saturday.

The visitors were in total control at half-time after captain Charlie Adam, back from a two-game ban, scored a penalty and then curled in a sublime free-kick four minutes later.

But Christopher Samba pulled a goal back for Blackburn four minutes into the second half and Junior Hoilett's injury-time header kept Rovers away from the relegation zone.

Both sides are one point above the bottom three, but Blackpool will know they missed a great chance to take a giant step towards safety.

Blackpool thought they had taken the lead in the 20th minute when Adam's free-kick was turned in by Luke Varney, but he was correctly flagged offside.

But in the 25th minute Blackpool did take the lead from the penalty spot.

Jason Puncheon broke through from midfield before playing in Gary Taylor-Fletcher, who appeared to get his shot away before he was caught by Ryan Nelsen.

Blackburn were furious with referee Howard Webb but it was to no avail as Adam coolly rolled his shot into the bottom corner.

Blackpool's fans were celebrating again four minutes later when Adam doubled the lead.

There was no luck involved this time as the midfielder curled a precise shot into the top corner after being fouled 25 yards out.

In the closing moments of the half Varney had the ball in the net again after following up a shot from Puncheon that was parried by Paul Robinson, but this time the midfielder knew the offside flag was coming.

Blackburn got one back in the 49th minute with captain Christopher Samba sending a low shot into the bottom corner after goalkeeper Richard Kingson failed to hold a cross.

A foray forward from Blackpool ended with Jason Puncheon forcing a decent save from Paul Robinson but the visitors' defending was becoming increasingly desperate and Martin Olsson slammed a shot against the post.

Blackburn defender Phil Jones, out since December with a knee injury, was thrown into the action for Brett Emerton in the 59th minute.

Blackpool were wobbling and Samba came agonisingly close to levelling matters in the 76th minute with a header that was cleared off the line by Stephen Crainey.

The hosts continued to pour forward, with Samba and Hoilett both sending efforts wide, and in the third minute of injury time they finally got the equaliser they craved.

Kingson could not get hands to a long free-kick from Robinson and Hoilett headed over keeper to secure a priceless point.

For the latest Sports news , like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and get the NDTV Cricket app for Android or iOS

  • Football
  • Steven Gerrard
  • Everton
  • Liverpool
  • Arsenal
  • Birmingham City
  • Chelsea
  • Blackburn Rovers

Leave a comment