Roberto Carlos may leave Madrid

<img border='0' align='left' title=' ' src='' class='caption'> Roberto Carlos could be leaving Real Madrid after 10 years at the club.

Updated: February 25, 2007 11:35 IST
  • Total Shares


Roberto Carlos could be leaving Real Madrid after 10 years at the club. Roberto Carlos, who has 11 months to run on his contract, is said to have accepted an offer of a three-year deal with an annual salary of 6.4 million dollars from Turkey's Fenerbahce, sports daily Marca said on Saturday. The 33-year-old defender has reportedly rejected a plea by Madrid coach Fabio Capello to stay. Capello brought Roberto Carlos to the club from Inter Milan in 1996 at the start of his previous stint in charge. Since then, the Brazilian has won three Champions Leagues and three Spanish league titles although he has won nothing for the last three years as Madrid has been mired in its worst spell since the early 1950s. The defender said in May he had received an offer to join Chelsea although the English champion now appears to have turned its attention to Arsenal left back Ashley Cole. Roberto Carlos may be the first of several departures from Madrid before the league season starts on August 26. Ronaldo, whose position has been jeopardised by the club's recent signing of Manchester United's Ruud van Nistelrooy, could also leave. (AP)

For the latest Sports news , like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and get the NDTV Cricket app for Android or iOS

  • Football
  • Roberto Carlos Acosta

Leave a comment