Santiago:Veteran striker Marcelo Salas, inactive since the end of last year, announced on Saturday that he will return to the playing field.
"I've made my decision. I will return in the second half of the season. Hopefully, it will be with Universidad de Chile," he told the morning daily La Tercera.
The 32-year-old Salas, who left the club in December after the Clausura season over disagreements with financial management officials, declared bankruptcy last year.
"I want to play and I'm going to do it," said Salas, who acknowledged it may not be with the club where he earned his fame in Chile.
Although he scored eight goals, his season was marked by injury and what many considered a low productivity.
Salas said he has received two offers to play in the United States, and next month there was the possibility that he would go to America.
The next transfer window for Major League Soccer, which this year has signed Colombian Juan Palbo Angel and Argentina's Guillermo Barros Schelotto and is awaiting Mexico's Cuauhtemoc Blanco and England's David Beckham, begins in July.
Salas also said that there was a possibility of returning to Universidad with the financial managers of the club scheduled for a change. He said there were two clubs he would not play for, Colo Colo and Universidad Catolica, the classic rivals of Universidad de Chile.