Manchester:Argentina striker Carlos Tevez agreed to join Manchester City on a five-year deal on Monday, further enhancing the wealthy Premier League club's bid to become a force in the game.
The 25-year-old Tevez will complete his switch across Manchester from City's more illustrious neighbor United, where he had been on loan for two years, after a medical examination.
City will have to pay 25.5 million pounds ($41 million) to sign Tevez from the group that owned his economic rights.
Despite last winning a league title in 1968, City is gradually becoming an attractive destination for top players since being bought last September by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, a member of the Abu Dhabi royal family.
"It is terrific news," City manager Mark Hughes said. "Carlos is an international player of the highest class who possesses all the attributes that will help drive this club forward.
"He is not only outstanding technically but he is a reliable goal scorer and someone who will contribute fully to the team ethic. He gives us another exciting, attacking dimension."
Tevez will link up in attack with Brazil's Robinho, who joined for a British record fee of euro42.5 million (then $61.7 million) last September, Roque Santa Cruz, the 18 million-pound signing from Blackburn, and Craig Bellamy. City also is reportedly pursuing Arsenal's Togo striker Emmanuel Adebayor.
Tevez left United last month after his two-year loan deal expired with the English champions and he rebuffed their interest in agreeing a permanent deal. Tevez said he felt manager Alex Ferguson had shown him a lack of respect by not playing him often enough.
"I cannot wait to welcome him to City," Hughes said. "This is yet another deal that shows the commitment of the owner Sheikh Mansour to make this club the very best it can possibly be. I am sure our fans will give Carlos an exceptionally warm welcome."
That Tevez is leaving United after winning the Champions League and back-to-back Premier League titles will help City attract more top talent. Despite being able to offer lucrative wages City is not in Europe next season and it has failed to sign both Brazil playmaker Kaka and Cameroon forward Samuel Eto'o in recent months.
Hughes is also pursuing Chelsea and England captain John Terry.
He will hope Tevez finally settles at Eastlands after struggling to fit in at both West Ham and Manchester United since arriving in the Premier League in 2006.
Alex Ferguson said earlier Monday that Tevez had ignored his phone calls and text messages as he tried to persuade the striker to stay at Old Trafford.
"I half expected Carlos Tevez would be going a long time back," Ferguson said in his first public comments since Tevez rejected United last month. "I think he maybe did a deal around January because I spoke to him and gave him an offer on the night we played Inter Milan (in March) and he never came back to me.
"I phoned him on holiday and he never got back to me and I texted him twice and he never got back to me then either, so obviously he had made his mind up a long time ago. He was a good player and did well for us, but he obviously assessed the situation and wanted to go somewhere else."
Tevez signing a permanent deal at City will end a divisive chapter in English football that led to a string of bitter legal cases and the rules on third party ownership being changed.
Tevez joined West Ham from Brazilian club Corinthians in 2006 along with Argentina teammate Javier Mascherano, but their contracts were owned by Media Sports Investments.
West Ham was fined 5.5 million pounds (then US$10.8 million) in April 2007 for breaking Premier League rules on third-party contracts following a ruling that said Tevez and Mascherano, who had joined Liverpool by that point, should not have been eligible to play.
But the Hammers were not docked points which led to them staying in the Premier League at the expense of Sheffield United.
Sheffield was relegated at the end of the 2007 season, when the Hammers beat Manchester United on the final day of the campaign and Tevez scored the decisive goal.
An independent tribunal eventually ruled that the Blades were entitled to compensation and the clubs reached an out-of-court settlement earlier this year.