Rio de Janeiro: Uruguay on Thursday lodged an appeal against the four month football ban imposed on star striker Luis Suarez for his World Cup bite, a top FIFA official said. (Chiellini Says Ban too Harsh)
The Uruguay Football Association had until Sunday to make an appeal against the sanctions ordered after Suarez bit Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini. (Suarez Banned for Four Months)
Claudio Sulser, head of FIFA's disciplinary commission, confirmed to reporters that the appeal had been made but insisted he could make no other comment. (UK Press Welcomes Ban)
Suarez was banned from all football activity for four months, suspended for nine internationals and fined 100,000 Swiss francs (112,000 dollars) for his third offence of biting an opposition player.
He has since made a public apology to Chiellini while Spanish giants Barcelona are negotiating to buy the prolific striker from England's Liverpool.