London: In-form Newcastle striker Papiss Cisse has called on the club to hold on to their top players for next season when they look sure to be competing again in Europe.
A win over Stoke in Saturday's Premier League clash would ensure European football for the Magpies next season and also boost their real hopes of qualification for the Champions League.
Speculation has been rife, however, that several big-spending rivals are interested in buying some of the talent that has emerged this season such as goalkeeper Tim Krul, midfielder Cheick Tiote and leading scorer Demba Ba.
Cisse, whose 10 goals in nine games since his January arrival from Freiburg have lit up Tyneside, admits he would be particularly disappointed to lose either Tiote or strike-partner Ba.
He told the Northern Echo: "Yes, I would be worried if they left because they have helped me a lot.
"It may effect me because of that but, at the end of the day, that's football and if a big opportunity came along for them to move, they can.
"But I would love for them to stay and play here longer because we are doing very well together.
"It's down to Newcastle, they will do the right thing. At the end of the day, I trust the club and they will do the right thing."
Newcastle have already gone down a similar road having accepted Liverpool's £35million offer for Andy Carroll in January last year, and while that was hugely unpopular at the time, they have gone from strength to strength in the meantime.
It would be a huge disappointment if the club did not now claim at least a Europa League place, and the prospect of bringing European football back to St James' Park is one Cisse is relishing.
He said: "That's my objective, Europe. I like it. I sleep with it, I wake up with it every morning.
"I know it's tight at the top of the table, but I'm trying to do my best and hopefully, we will get there."