New Delhi:Indian Premier League (IPL) Commissioner Lalit Modi on Friday assured that there would be no matches in any city on the day of counting of votes.
Modi said the IPL was on with the duration of the tournament remaining the same but a revised schedule would be released soon. "We are making a new schedule for IPL matches," he said.
"It's a cumbersome process, because there are blackout dates in several cities due to elections," the former RCA President said.
However, the venue for the opening game of the tournament has been shifted from Jaipur to Mumbai.
Rejecting speculations that the event may be held in another country, Modi said there was no question of moving to another country.
He said that he was looking for alternate venues to allocate IPL matches other than the fixed eight cities.
"We currently have over 14 cities that are available to stage matches, we now have to reduce that list to eight," Modi said.
The IPL organizers tried to avoid a delay to the event by earlier saying they would not need national paramilitaries to provide security, and could get by with local police forces in the host cities.
Modi said he was thankful to the Home Minister for receiving assurances on security.
"We're extremely grateful and thankful to the Home Minister for his clarification that security will be provided for IPL matches," Modi said.
"There's no reservation about security, we have our security experts in and holding discussions with them," he added.
Earlier in the day, Home Minister P Chidambaram had said that Cricket was safe in India but IPL dates needed to be reworked.
(With agency inputs)