Karachi:The Pakistan Cricket Board has decided to go ahead with the second Test against Sri Lanka in Lahore despite sensing trouble following Supreme Court's ban on Nawaz Sharif contesting elections and his sibling Shahbaz continuing as Punjab Chief Minister.
The Sharif brothers hold considerable influence in Lahore and there is apprehension of widespread violence in the aftermath of the court's ruling.
Following government's assurance, the PCB, however, has decided to go ahead with the Test in Lahore.
"At the moment the programme is on track. The teams will leave for Lahore in the afternoon while the crew of the official broadcasters for the series have already started transporting their gear and equipment from Karachi to Lahore's Gaddafi Stadium," a PCB source said.
"The broadcasters had inquired from the board if there was going to be any change in plan for the second Test scheduled to start from Sunday. They were told the match would be on schedule," the source said.
Supporters of former Prime Minister Nawaz took to the streets in some parts of Lahore and other cities of Punjab to protest the disqualification of the two brothers and removal of Shahbaz as Chief Minister of Punjab.
In the event of disturbances, the source claimed that PCB has drawn up contingency plans.
"One option is the second Test gets cancelled and the Sri Lankans return home or that the match is shifted to Karachi," the source said.
He also added that the board is reluctant to shift the match because foreign teams had already stated their unwillingness to tour Pakistan due to security reasons.
"What sort of message will we send out to the rest of the world if this series is affected by the political problems in Lahore and rest of Punjab," one board official questioned.