Karachi:Pakistan cricketers are hoping for compensation from their board after being barred from taking place in the Indian Premier League this year for political reasons, according to a report.
A report in 'The News' on Saturday said the affected players had sent a letter to Pakistan president Asif Ali Zardari, who is also patron of the Pakistan Cricket Board, saying the government's ban on its players taking part in the lucrative IPL was an "unnecessary initiative".
If the IPL had moved first to ban Pakistani players, they would have had "a golden opportunity to demand a reasonable compensation from the IPL organizers" but the government's pre-emptive move had negated that opportunity.
"Had they (IPL organizers) initiated the idea first, the players would have had a good case of compensation," the letter said.
The newspaper quoted an unnamed Pakistan player confirming the letter had been sent to Zardari. "I hope that the presidency would help the players get some relief from the PCB."
Pakistan's foreign ministry ruled earlier this month that the political environment was not conducive for Pakistan players to take part in the IPL given last year's Mumbai terrorist attacks which India had blamed on Pakistani militants. Those attacks also prompted India to call off a scheduled tour to Pakistan.
The Pakistan government ruling meant IPL franchises suspended the contracts of Misbah-ul-Haq, Sohail Tanvir, Umar Gul and Kamran Akmal while Younis Khan, Shoaib Akhtar, Mohammad Hafeez, Shoaib Malik, Salman Butt and Shahid Afridi had their contracts terminated.
Five other players _ Yasir Hameed, Yasir Arafat, Asim Kaml, Danish Kaneria and Hafeez _ had been due to be included in the IPL player auction ahead of the coming IPL season.
Afridi, who was signed for $675,000 by Hyderabad's Deccan Chargers, was the highest paid Pakistan player in last year's IPL.