Karachi:Pakistan's controversial pacer Mohammad Asif will get a one-year ban for failing a dope test during the inaugural edition of the Indian Premier League, a source close to the player said on Friday.
Although no official announcement has been made by the IPL yet, the source said they had learnt from unofficial channels that the bowler will get a one-year ban.
"We have got indications from the IPL through unofficial channels that the drug tribunal will shortly announce a one-year ban on him," the source told PTI.
The Pakistan Cricket Board, when contacted, said they had not yet got any official intimation of the drugs inquiry tribunal's decision.
"The IPL has been in touch with us but so far we have got nothing officially from them on a one-year ban being imposed on Asif," said Saleem Altaf, Chief Operating Officer of the Board.
He said once the Board got some official intimation in writing only then could it comment on the matter.
Asif said he had informed the IPL drug tribunal that he had taken eye drops which he did not know led to increased levels of nandrolone in the body.
"I was not expecting this (one year ban) because I told them honestly I didn't know about this problem. But I will continue to keep training and prepare for my comeback to cricket," Asif said.
The pace bowler has been under a ban since last August from the PCB after he tested positive during dope tests in the IPL tournament in June.
Asif is also facing an inquiry from the PCB over his 19-days detention in Dubai last year for possession of 0.24 grams of opium.