Melbourne:Australian batting sensation David Warner is all set to make his one-day debut in the second ODI against South Africa at Hobart on Sunday after being picked to replace Michael Clarke, who was ruled out of the remainder of the five-match series due to a thumb injury.
Warner, who smashed a blistering 89 off just 43 balls in the opening Twenty20 International against the Proteas at the MCG earlier this month, will get his chance to stake a claim after missing Friday's first ODI.
Clarke, who injured his thumb during last month's Test series against South Africa and batted in Friday's three-wicket loss, has been advised rest for two weeks.
Australian team physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said Clarke has been advised to rest in an attempt to be fully fit in the Commonwealth Bank Series against New Zealand.
"During Friday's match, Michael experienced pain while batting. It was the first time that he had batted without an injection since suffering the injury during the 3 Mobile Test match at the WACA.
"While Michael could continue to play with pain-relieving injections, this will ultimately slow his recovery. He will now rest for two weeks, after which he will be reviewed by Cricket Australia medical staff with the plan to be available for the Commonwealth Bank Series against New Zealand. With an important Test series against South Africa starting in four weeks, this is the best course of action," Kountouris said.
Chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch backed Warner, saying he hoped the left-hander would use the opportunity to secure a spot in the one-day team.
"This is very disappointing for Michael and his presence will be sorely missed. However it presents an exciting opportunity for David to follow his spectacular Twenty20 debut in 50-over format for Australia," Hilditch said.