Chennai, India:Zimbabwe's cricket board has asked India if it could play in a limited-overs tri-series in Harare this year.
India is awaiting a proposal and an itinerary from Zimbabwe before it can make a decision, a top official told The Associated Press on Tuesday on condition of anonymity.
Details of India's proposed visit are expected to be discussed by officials from both boards during the International Cricket Council's meeting later this month. It was unclear who the third team would be in the tri-series.
India's schedule features the Twenty20 World Cup in England and a limited-overs series in the West Indies, but it could fit in the visit to Zimbabwe in July and August.
Zimbabwe has been forced to find fixtures for its schedule after agreeing to pull out of the Twenty20 World Cup as Britain would not grant visas to its team.
The England and Wales Cricket Board has cut ties with Zimbabwe and canceled this year's Test and one-day series. Cricket South Africa has also cut ties with its northern neighbor. A problem with visas for Zimbabwe Cricket officials also forced the ICC's annual meeting last year to be moved from Lord's to the United Arab Emirates.
The Australian government has banned ZC chairman Peter Chingoka from visiting Perth for an ICC meeting this month. The ban is part of sanctions against Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe, although the ICC has appealed to Australia to allow him to attend.
ICC president David Morgan said it is making "strenuous efforts to try to ensure a visa will be made available" to Chingoka.
Zimbabwe's cricket authorities have been embroiled in controversy, including corruption allegations, for several years.
Last month, a Harare court ordered ZC to open its books following claims by former national captain Tatenda Taibu that assault charges against him are part of a strategy to silence him for questioning the management of funds. The court ordered ZC to submit documents showing its payroll, sponsorship deals and grants from the ICC.
When Zimbabwe pulled out of the Twenty20 World Cup, it was assured by the ICC that it wouldn't "suffer financially as a result of its non-participation in the tournament" and acknowledged its decision to withdraw was in the greater interest of world cricket.
Last week, India's cricket board asked New Zealand to add an extra test to the itinerary of the series in March and April following the cancellation of its team's tour to Pakistan due to strained political relations.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) wants more matches as its commercial revenue is linked to the number of games the team plays.
The BCCI's balance sheet is showing losses after two One-Day Internationals against England were scrapped following November's terror attacks in Mumbai that killed at least 164 people. England went home, but later returned to play two tests in India.
The attacks also led to the postponement by a year of the inaugural edition of a lucrative Twenty20 Champions League featuring provincial teams from five nations.
News media reports said India was also seeking a play a limited-over series against Sri Lanka.