WACA mull compensation for CL reversal

<img border='0' align='left' title=' ' src='http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/images/thumbnail/ver1/c/clt20.jpg' class='caption'> Western Australia said they could be seeking compensation from the organisers of the postponed Champions League T20.

Updated: December 13, 2008 09:50 IST
  • Total Shares


Anguished at the postponment of the USD six million Champions Twenty20 League to October next year, Western Australia on Saturday said they could be seeking compensation from the organisers.

Though WACA Chief Executive Graeme Wood was yet to be officially informed about the postponment, he said they could lose as much as USD two million.

"It certainly would have been very beneficial financially. We stand to lose a minimum USD 500,000. And if the team performed very well and we got into the top four and the top two, there was significant gains financially," Wood said.

"If we had won the competition the association stood to make probably in excess of $2 million. And for the players it was a great opportunity not only financially but to get on the world stage, in particular some of the younger players," he was quoted as saying by the 'WAtoday.com'.

"It was not budgeted on, but once we knew we were in it we have done some other things knowing that we were in it. So it also disappointing," he said.

WA and Victoria were supposed to take part in the inaugural Champions League but would now have to re-qualify for the tournament by finishing either champions or runners-up in Australia's domestic Twenty20 tournament.

The inaugural Champions League, supposed to be held in India from December 3 to 10, was initially postponed due to the Mumbai terror attacks and was finally pushed back to next year.

Western Australia had already spent around USD 50,000 on the event, including ordering uniforms featuring naming rights sponsor Vikas Rambal, and Wood said they would discuss with Cricket Australia and Cricket Victoria about a possible bid for compensation.

"A lot of hard work went into planning, not just by the players but also by the general staff here," Wood said.

"We have spent reasonably significant money on the event so far, so we will be sitting down with CA and speak to CV because they will be in the same boat.

"We are unsure what revenue will flow through to CA, but once that is known we will sit down with the cricket family and come to some sort of resolution."

WA coach Tom Moody said players were disappointed but would try to be a part of the event in 2009.

"Obviously the players are disappointed. It would have been great to have been involved in it and we've just got to make sure that we are involved in the first one in 2009," said Moody.

"Everyone's pretty aware that it's an important tournament to be successful in and we feel confident in that form of the game so there's no reason we can't qualify again.

"I'm not sure about the financial side of things, that's the bonus that comes along with a tournament like this but I think just the opportunity to play in such a high-profile tournament - there was quite a big build up to it.

"Obviously India's a unique place at the moment with regards to Twenty20 cricket so all those experiences would have been great."

For the latest Cricket news , Score, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and get the NDTV Cricket app for Android or iOS

Leave a comment