London:Five to six top England players are likely to pull out of the India tour even if England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) decides to send its team after security assessment is found fool-proof, media reports said on Wednesday.
England are also expected to play a warm-up match in Abu Dhabi on its way back to India for the two-Test series starting on Tuesday.
Former England bowler Dominic Cork said he has spoken to several players who are traumatised by the events in Mumbai and are not likely to return for the tour.
"They are upset and feel they would not be able to go out," Cork was quoted as saying in The Guardian.
"Those I have spoken to are traumatised. What they saw on television was 10 times worse than what was shown here. I am not sure about the captain (Kevin Pietersen). I know of players who are going to put their families first."
There have been suggestions England will travel via the Middle East on Thursday and play a warm-up match in Abu Dhabi, pending security clearance.
England's one-day squad returned home on Saturday after the final two internationals were cancelled.
ECB's security expert Reg Dickason, who is in India to assess the security situation, might be seeking an upgrade to a protection level that was already high.
Dickason's stipulations are believed to involve blanket security from the same Indian special forces (NSG commandos) who stormed the Taj Mahal Palace hotel last week. There are also unconfirmed reports the ECB has asked for commandos to accompany the team at all times, an emergency evacuation plan and total security around dressing rooms.