Karachi:Suspended Pakistani paceman Mohammad Asif on Thursday cancelled his visit to Mumbai after he was told that hearing of the drugs inquiry tribunal of the Indian Premier League (IPL) had been put off due to fresh terrorist attacks there.
Asif, who was due to leave this morning with his lawyer Shahid Karim for the two-day hearing from November 29, said he had been told to remain in Pakistan.
"After the Mumbai attacks, I called them up to find out the status quo of the drugs tribunal hearing and they told me they will convey fresh dates later on to me," Asif said. He supported the decision to cancel the hearing pointing out that what had happened in Mumbai was a huge tragedy.
"I don't think the hearing is that important now. Whenever it is held I am confident of being cleared as we have prepared well for it," he said.
Asif was suspended by the Pakistan Cricket Board after he tested positive during a dope test held during the IPL. His 'B' sample test also came positive although the traces of the banned substance found in his sample differed in both tests.
Asif and his lawyer have made this the basis of their appeal and have challenged the procedure adopted conduct the dope tests during the IPL.
The drugs inquiry tribunal was expected to give a decision on the case at its latest hearing with fears of a two year suspension for the Pakistani player.