Sourav dismisses talks of 'compromise'

<img border='0' align='left' title=' ' src='' class='caption'> Sourav Ganguly dismissed reports that his inclusion in the squad was part of a compromise formula to give him the oppurtunity to retire gracefully.

Updated: October 02, 2008 06:56 IST
  • Total Shares


Former captain Sourav Ganguly on Wednesday dismissed suggestions that his inclusion in India's 15-member squad for the first two Tests against Australia was part of a compromise formula to give him the opportunity to retire gracefully.

Asked specifically if the selectors had made a compromise with his selection in the team, Ganguly quipped "absolutely not".

Ganguly's floundering Test career today received a big boost with the newly-appointed selection panel headed by Krishnamachari Srikkanth naming him in the squad for the first two Tests against Australia beginning October 9.

The former captain reckoned the series against the Australians will be "tough" and said he was prepared for the challenge.

"It will be a tough series. We will have to fight it hard", he said at the Eden Gardens.

Ganguly's career was at crossroads after he was ignored by the previous selection panel, with Dilip Vengsarkar at the helm, for the season-opening Irani Cup tie, touted as a virtual selection trial, at Vadodara late last month.

However, a change of guard with the complete overhaul of the selection panel saw the return of Ganguly and he seems certain to play the series opener at Bangalore barring injury.

The former Indian captain also met Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) President Jagmohan Dalmiya during the day. It was his first meeting with Dalmiya since he was re-elected to the post.

For the latest Cricket news , Score, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and get the NDTV Cricket app for Android or iOS

Leave a comment