WI voice security concerns ahead of women's Pak tour

<img border='0' align='left' title=' ' src='http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/images/thumbnail/ver1/c/cricgen3.jpg' class='caption'> The prospects of a WI tour of Pak suffered a setback after the WCB expressed security concerns ahead of a scheduled visit by its women's team.

Updated: September 29, 2008 10:09 IST
  • Total Shares

Islamabad, Pakistan:

The prospects of a West Indies tour of Pakistan suffered a setback on Monday after the West Indies Cricket Board expressed security concerns ahead of a scheduled visit by its women's team.

"The recent bomb blast at the Marriott Hotel in Islamabad has a big impact and that's one of the main reason why WICB has expressed its security apprehensions," Pakistan Cricket Board spokesman Mansoor Suhail told The Associated Press.

The Marriott Hotel blast in the Pakistan capital earlier this month left 53 dead and hundreds injured.

The West Indies women team is scheduled to play five one-day internationals and two Twenty20 matches against their Pakistan counterparts at Karachi - and one Twenty20 at Hyderabad - between Oct. 13-31.

The PCB has also invited the West Indies men's team to play two Test matches in November. However, the WICB is yet to confirm the tour.

"We have reassured the WICB that we will provide foolproof security to their women's team and we hope the tour will go on," Suhail said.

The Pakistan men's team has not played a Test match this year after Australia postponing its scheduled tour in March and the International Cricket Council postponed the Champions Trophy tournament for a year due to security concerns of four leading teams.

For the latest Cricket news , Score, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and get the NDTV Cricket app for Android or iOS

Leave a comment