Player body unsure about CT security

<img border='0' align='left' title=' ' src='' class='caption'> The Australia Cricketers Association has reacted to a security report and stated it's not safe to tour Pakistan for the Champions Trophy.

Updated: July 26, 2008 12:55 IST
  • Total Shares


Australian Cricketers Association (ACA) has once again raised concerns about the safety and security of players ahead of tomorrow's crucial ICC Board meeting to decide if the Champions Trophy should be staged in Pakistan or shifted out of the strife-torn country.

ACA Chief Executive Paul Marsh today said the security consultant hired by them as well as Reg Dickason and the consultants hired by the International Cricket Council had in their reports indicated they were number of external threats in Pakistan.

"There is a credible threat in all the major cities in Pakistan, including those which are hosting the event and they expect bombing in the coming week. So it's what we are concerned about," Marsh told the Geo News network.

He said the job of the ACA and Cricket Australia was to ensure that they send players in a safe environment.

"And we are not convinced of that in what we have seen in which is available to us here," he added.

England, Australia and New Zealand have also voiced concerns after some of their players raised security concerns.

Pakistani cities of Lahore, Karachi and Rawalpindi are scheduled to stage the Champions Trophy games from September 11 to 28.

Marsh also claimed that the security reports given to the ICC and member countries had highlighted the fact that the security arrangements during the Asia Cup tournament in Lahore and Karachi were not entirely up to the mark.

Marsh said except for the tournament final in which President Pervez Musharraf was the chief guest was accepted as a good job.

Marsh also said all reports have said there is an increased tension in Pakistan at the moment.

"The report submitted by Reg is confidential and I might not be able to talk about its content unfortunately. Based on the recommendation in the reports the decision will be taken out by the players and Cricket Australia whether to send a team to Pakistan," Marsh said.

Sources in the Pakistan Board told PTI the PCB Chairman Nasim Ashraf had been lobbying heavily to ensure the tournament remained in Pakistan.

However, there is every likelihood that the tournament could be postponed because of the impending deadlock in the conference as Australia, New Zealand, England and South Africa remain adamant that it is not safe to play in Pakistan at this particular time.

For the latest Cricket news , Score, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and get the NDTV Cricket app for Android or iOS

  • Cricket

Leave a comment