Karachi:Shoaib Akhtar could be left out of Pakistan's preliminary squad for the Champions Trophy despite being cleared to play by the Lahore High Court as the maverick pacer has not yet paid the fine imposed on him for disciplinary violations.
Shoaib has been told by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to pay by Monday the fine of Rs seven million imposed on him by the appellate tribunal that reduced his original ban of five years to 18 months last month.
The 18-month ban has been suspended by the Lahore High Court but the fine remains which Shoaib has not paid as yet.
"We have sent the notice directly to him and if he does not agree to pay the fine then we might not consider him for the Champions Trophy preliminary list (to be announced on Monday)," a senior board official said on Sunday.
Shoaib himself has been untraceable and his legal counsel Abid Hasan Minto said the fast bowler has not contacted him for consultations on whether to pay the fine or not.
"Nor have we received any copy of the notice by the board," he said.
The names of Shoaib and Mohammad Asif were included in the preliminary list by the national selectors last week but the board put its foot down and asked the selectors to come down to Lahore for further discussions.
Sources say some of the board officials want the selectors to explain why Shoaib and Asif were included in the preliminary squad when both bowlers were facing problems.
Asif is awaiting the report of a three-member fact finding commission of the board which will decide whether his 19-day detention in Dubai last month was because of possession of some banned substance or the result of a misunderstanding.
A board official made it clear that it cannot decide on the case until it gets the official report from authorities in Dubai on the whole affair.
"Even if Asif is included in the preliminary squad and if the committee finds he had some banned substance on him when he was detained in Dubai, he can be dropped," the official said.
But sources say that Asif, who has resumed training in Lahore, is likely to get a reprieve from the board in some form as the selectors and the national team management is keen to have him back in the team as soon as possible.
"And if we don't get the official report of the public prosecutor from Dubai then obviously the advantage will go to Asif," the official said.
Asif was detained from June 1 to 19 while returning from India and later repatriated by authorities who didn't charge him for any drug related offence.