Karachi:The Pakistan Cricket Board on Thursday dismissed media reports, which claimed that detained paceman Mohammad Asif has been charged for alleged possession of contraband drugs in Dubai.
Nadeem Akram, PCB Director of Administration, insisted that the beleaguered fast bowler has not been charged with any offence by the authorities in Dubai .
Many media reports had claimed that Asif had been charged for possession of drugs.
"These reports are incorrect. The factual position is that he appeared before the public prosecutor today and recorded his statement. He has not been charged as yet of any offence," Akram told PTI.
The PCB official said after today's meeting the prosecutor had with Asif and the PCB lawyers, the Board was hopeful that Asif would be released on Sunday.
"We are confident the prosecutor will allow him to return home on Sunday when he next hears the case," Akram said.
Shafqat Naghmi, another Board official, had earlier told a news conference in Lahore that the reports of the tests conducted on the substance found in Asif's possession and his blood and urine had been sent to the prosecutor by the investigators.
But he did not give details of the reports saying Asif claimed the substance found on him was just a medicine prescribed to him by a Hakeem for his elbow injury.
But sources close to the Board said even if Asif is allowed to return home on Sunday he might face a probe by the PCB as his actions have brought shame for Pakistan cricket.