Akhtar's IPL contract still valid: Modi

<img border='0' align='left' title=' ' src='http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/images/thumbnail/ver1/i/ipllogonew.jpg' class='caption'> Banned Pakistani cricketer Shoaib Akhtar's contract with the IPL is still valid, says Lalit Modi.

Updated: April 17, 2008 18:02 IST
  • Total Shares


Banned Pakistani cricketer Shoaib Akhtar's contract with the Indian Premier League (IPL) is still valid and he will be allowed to play if he is cleared by the Pakistan Appellate Tribunal, IPL Governing Council head Lalit Modi said on Friday.

"His contract is still valid and has not been cancelled. He is still contracted to the IPL and through it to the Kolkata Knight Riders," Modi told reporters in Mumbai.

However, as per the rules of the BCCI any player who had been suspended by any other Cricket Board would not be allowed to play in the IPL, he said.

The Pakistani speedster, who was served a five-year ban by the Pakistani Cricket Board will not be allowed to play in the first IPL starting on April 18, BCCI officials had said yesterday.

"We cannot have the situation where a player banned for any reason is harboured by the IPL," Modi said.

"Currently his contract stands since he is in the appeal process... We hope it will be resolved at the earliest. His contract is not being cancelled presently," he said.

For the latest Cricket news , Score, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and get the NDTV Cricket app for Android or iOS

Leave a comment