Lahore:A disciplinary committee will announce its decision within a week on controversial Pakistan fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar's incident with Mohammad Asif in the World Twenty20 event, a Pakistan Cricket Board official said on Sunday.
"We have heard the versions of all the relevant persons and now we will announce the decision within the next week," said, Shafqat Naghmi, chairman of the PCB's three-member disciplinary committee.
Akhtar had earlier appeared before the disciplinary committee with his lawyer while Asif, Shahid Afridi and manager Talat Ali also recorded their statements.
"Now there will be no more hearings and we will just take the decision," Naghmi said.
Akhtar was sent home after he hit Asif with the bat at a practice session in Johannesburg last month.
However, Akhtar said Afridi had made nasty comments after a practice session and the two became embroiled in a tussle. When Asif tried to break them up, Akhtar said he accidentally struck him with his bat.
"I got agitated when Afridi used bad words about my family, and (in the ensuing argument) Asif was accidentally struck on the thigh," Akhtar had told reporters.
"I can't tolerate if someone uses bad words about my family, even if it's in a lighter vein," he added.
Paceman Akhtar, popularly known as the Rawalpindi Express, has a checkered disciplinary history.
In August, he was handed a fine of $5,000 for leaving a training camp in the southern city of Karachi without informing the team's management.
The fine was suspended, but board officials said he will now have to pay the fine due to his latest lapse.
In October 2006, Akhtar and Asif were sent home from the ICC Champions Trophy tournament in neighboring India after both tested positive for the banned substance nandrolone.
A PCB tribunal banned Akhtar for two years, while Asif was banned for a year. A PCB appellate tribunal subsequently reversed the decisions.