Hobart: The International Cricket Council has clarified that there were no evidence to suggest that the ball was tampered by the Australia fast bowler Peter Siddle during the first Test between Australia and Sri Lanka which concluded in Hobart on Tuesday.
ICC Match Referee Chris Broad has issued a statement after the media reported incidents of ball tampering.
"The umpires frequently inspect the ball during play, and did so again after they had reviewed the video footage in question on Sunday. They found no evidence to suggest that the condition of the ball had been changed," he said in his statement.
"In the opinion of the umpires, there was no evidence to suggest that the condition of the ball was changed, or that the video or photographic evidence would support a charge under the Code of Conduct, so they will not be laying any charges relating to these incidents," he added.
Sri Lanka's team management had expressed concerns over footage it believed shows paceman Siddle tampering with the ball during the first innings.
The tourists' team manager Charith Senanayake said he had spoken with the International Cricket Council officials about the matter, although no official complaints were made.
Broad, subsequently spoke to Australian coach Mickey Arthur as well as the Lankan officials.
"During the tea interval on that day, I spoke with Australia coach Mickey Arthur and told him that the umpires will continue to inspect the cricket ball regularly, and monitor the actions of all players," he said.
"I subsequently informed the Sri Lanka team management of my discussions with the Australia coach.