New Delhi: Team India is missing him and so are his fans but they will all have to wait as Yuvraj Singh is fighting a bigger battle than the one that is being fought in Australia. Undergoing treatment in the United States for a rare germ cell cancer, Yuvraj is likely to return to the field by the first week of May, according to his doctors. (Also see: Yuvraj Singh gets a 'Jumbo' surprise)
His courageous battle summerised in ten points:
1. Soon after the World Cup, Yuvraj was diagnosed with a tumour of size of a golf ball in his lungs, which was thought to be non-malignant or non-cancerous. Though he remained out of action, he disclosed about his ailment only when he was convinced that he was cured.
2. While he was preparing for a comeback in the CB tri-series in Australia, the tumour troubled him again. Only this time he was told that it was cancerous.
3. He went to the United States for the treatment in January. The 30-year-old left-hander is currently undergoing chemotherapy in the Cancer Research Institute in Boston.
4. He is being treated by Dr Lawrence Einhorn. Dr Einhorn, who is known to be among the best cancer doctors in the world, had also treated legendary cyclist Lance Armstrong, who had suffered from testicular cancer in 1996.
5. Yuvraj's father Yograj Singh said that the doctors have promised his son that he will be back stronger than ever.
6. Yuvraj, who was reading Armstrong's biography 'It's Not About The Bike for inspiration and even tweeted about it, was ecstatic when he received a message from the seven-time Tour de France champion, which read as "Yuvi, I want you to know that the entire LIVESTRONG team is here for you. We say it all the time, and truly believe in it: Knowledge is Power, Unity is Strength, and Attitude is Everything.
Please know that we are here to help you and your family in any way possible. Go Yuvi!! Livestrong."
7. Wishes and prayers are pouring in from all parts of the country. Yuvraj, who is facing the biggest challenge of his life with a lot of positivity, has kept himself connected with his fans via Twitter, where he also posts latest updates about his health.
8. On Valentine's Day, he had a special gift for his fans and well-wishers. He tweeted that his tumour was almost out of his system. "Got very good news from dr lawrence today! The tumor is almost way out of the system Aftr reading my todays scan !Second cycle has started," he tweeted.
9. On Sunday, he received a pleasant surprise when his former teammate and leg-spin legend Anil Kumble met him in the hospital. He posted a pic and tweeted: "It was so nice of jumbo to surprise me ! Great motivation and a happy day spent with the legend!"
10. Yuvraj is keeping himself busy with books, video games and Twitter. On Friday his friend and actor Ranvijay Singh went all the way from India to meet him. The duo watched a comedy and had a gala time, while the beleaguered Indian cricket team is waiting for its hero, who won the World Cup, to come back soon and strengthen it.