Karachi:Pakistan wicketkeeper Zulqarnain Haider has claimed to have turned down lucrative offers from the media to give details of his decision to desert his team in Dubai midway through an ODI series and flee to London after receiving death threats for refusing to fix matches.
The 24-year-old wrote on his facebook account that the 'News of the World' tabloid had offered him lots of money for an interview but he spoke to them without taking a penny.
"They offered me lots of money but I gave them the interview free of cost but what was surprising was that they said it would be half an hour thing but it went on for one and half hour," Haider wrote.
"They were trying to ask hard questions but I told them they should talk to the ICC about it," Haider wrote on his account.
The keeper had fled the Pakistan team hotel in Dubai last Monday claiming that he was facing death threats from people who wanted him to fix matches of the one-day series against South Africa in Dubai.
He reached London the same day and applied for asylum and has since then talked to the Pakistan Cricket Board and the Pakistan high commissioner in the United Kingdom who have assured him legal assistance and help.
Haider also wrote on his account that electronic media had also offered him big money for giving interviews but he had no intention of taking money and even if he took, he would ask them to give it directly to a charity.
"I don't want cash or anything in my hands they will pay to charity," he wrote.