New Delhi:Suspended Indian Premier League (IPL) chairman Lalit Modi said his reply to the Indian cricket board's show-cause notice is not to defend himself but the image of the highly-successful Twenty20 cricket league.
Modi tweeted from Monaco, where he is supporting Force India in the Formula One race.
"My reply is not about defending Lalit Modi it's about defending Brand IPL," Modi wrote on social networking site Twitter.
Modi's reply to the showcause notice of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has run into 15,000 pages and he is believed to have put IPL's entire Governing Council (GC) in the dock Saturday.
Modi's reply was collated by three highly reputed companies of solicitors and a battery of lawyers headed by legal luminaries like Ram Jethmalani and Harish Salve. It was submitted to the board by Modi's lawyer Mehmood Abdi.
A total of 22 charges were levelled by the BCCI against Lalit Modi with five primary charges. They were:
# That he received kickbacks amounting to 80 million US Dollars for last year's renegotiated TV rights
# That he tampered with sealed bids during the 1st IPL Team auction this year which was cancelled
# That he held an undisclosed stake in 3 IPL Teams viz Rajasthan Royals, Kings XI Punjab & Kolkata Knight Riders
# That he tried to arm twist the Kochi based Rendezvous Sports from withdrawing after the successful bid
# And that there were irregularities in his awarding of Broadcast & Internet rights.
Modi has answered all five charges with documentary evidence.
He also gave minute details of all Governing Council meetings. He has built his defence around the fact that the Governing Council was party to each and every decision.
Modi's lawyers Mehmood Abdi said the reply had "sufficiently and fully addressed" all the allegations against his client.
He expressed confidence that BCCI would drop the showcause and re-instate Modi as IPL Chairman after going through the voluminous reply.