Kirsten to stay till 2011 World Cup

<img border='0' align='left' title=' ' src='' class='caption'> BCCI president Shashank Manohar has said that Gary Kirsten will stay with Team India till the 2011 Cricket World Cup.

Updated: February 03, 2010 13:26 IST
  • Total Shares


Dismissing reports that Gary Kirsten was all set to migrate to South Africa after the end of his contract with the BCCI in March 2010, Board president Shashank Manohar said that Kirsten will stay with Team India till the 2011 Cricket World Cup.

"He will continue his stint with the Indian team," Board president Shashank Manohar told DNA. "We ll renew his contract," he added.

Manohar made it clear after there were speculations that Kirsten was most likely to replace Mickey Arthur, former South African coach, after the latter quit last week. The CSA, however, has appointed Corrie van Zyl as a caretaker coach for the India series.

Kirsten refused to go into details. "I have not been contacted by the CSA," was all he said while the SA board said that it is yet to initiate the process of finding a full time replacement for Arthur. "You should tell us about Gary. We have not yet initiated the process," Gerald Majola told this newspaper.

Kirsten currently draws $30,000 per month from the BCCI and will have to take a major pay cut if he wishes to take up the South Africa job. A close friend of Kirsten said that the India coach was very happy with his job. "He treats the Indian team as his own and he would never have considered another offer. He is a very committed guy," Kirsten s Cape Town-based friend said.

South African Eric Simons will be part of the Kirsten-led support staff till the end of the series as the team s bowling consultant.

For the latest Cricket news , Score, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and get the NDTV Cricket app for Android or iOS

Leave a comment