ICC seeks CA's reports on pitch invasion

<img border='0' align='left' title=' ' src='http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/images/thumbnail/ver1/c/cricgen3.jpg' class='caption'> The ICC has sought a report from CA on the stunning breach of security during the fifth ODI in Perth, during which a pitch invader downed Khalid Latif.

Updated: February 01, 2010 12:30 IST
  • Total Shares


The ICC has sought a report from Cricket Australia on the stunning breach of security during the fifth Australia-Pakistan ODI in Perth, during which a pitch invader downed visiting opener Khalid Latif.

"Obviously the ICC is very disappointed by the incident. There has been a clear security breach. We have asked CA to send us a detailed report on the incident before we can make any comment," an ICC spokesperson told a cricket website.

The 37-year-old man, who grabbed Latif from behind before wrestling him down last night, has been charged with assault and trespass but has been granted bail. He will now appear in court on February 16. The stadium authorities have banned the man from the venue for life.

Latif was not injured but was left shocked by the incident.

"It shouldn't be happening. It just should not be happening," Latif told the 'Sydney Morning Herald'.

"It is not that big a deal to me because I am okay. I am not hurt. It was nothing too shocking, but it was still not what you want to have happening in a game of cricket," he added.

"I think the fans who go should remember why they go and they should not spoil it for the players and the other people at the ground. People should be at the game to support and enjoy the game. But it doesn't make me angry, nothing like that because I am okay," he said.

Australian skipper Ricky Ponting was even more scathing in his criticism and said had the invader touched any of his teammates, he would have taken his players off the field.

"If I was the fielding captain tonight, I would have definitely brought all the players in and had a chat to them about how they felt about it," Ponting said.

"That wasn't the first spectator that had been out on the ground tonight either. That's what I would have done if I'd been the captain out there."

Pakistan coach Intikhab Alam said security should be tightened for future matches.

"There is enough security, but it seemed he had had too much to drink. It should not have happened, especially these days, and you have to be very careful. You have to take very strict measures about it for the safety.

"The way he tackled him, he could have been very seriously hurt. You have to do something about it, so that it does not happen again. It could be very detrimental. The ground authorities have to make sure that it does not happen," he said.

For the latest Cricket news , Score, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and get the NDTV Cricket app for Android or iOS

Leave a comment