Karachi:Shoaib Akhtar's fate rests on Ejaz Butt's hand as the PCB Chairman will decide on whether to take a disciplinary action against the controversial pacer for his recent statement in media regarding his omission from Pakistan's World Twenty20 squad.
Butt told reporters after returning from Colombo on Friday that he would be going through Akhtar's statement and decide whether it tantamount to violation of the player's central contract.
Akhtar, in an interview in a television show recently, said that he once thought about suing the Pakistan Cricket Board as well as the team management for attributing his omission from the World Twenty20 squad to a genital infection, while it was actually a skin irritation.
The 33-year-old tearaway pacer claimed it was a clear violation of his basic rights and he was put into an embarrassing position by the board.
He also blamed the team management for giving a wrong impression about his medical condition and fitness while dropping him from the squad.
Pakistani players who have central contracts with the PCB are not supposed to give controversial remarks in the media.
Sources in the board said Butt would consult other officials before deciding whether Akhtar had again violated his contract.
Akhtar has a history of disciplinary and fitness problems and has hardly played a handful of matches in the last two years. He was also not considered for last month's Sri Lanka but has insisted he is fit to play in the ODIs.
In the interview, Akhtar also criticised former PCB Chairman Nasim Ashraf, terming him a "second grade person" and said all the previous heads of the board had done nothing but damaged Pakistan cricket.
However, he showered praise on Butt and said he withdraw from his idea of suing the PCB only on the advice of the Chairman.
Meanwhile, legal advisor of the PCB, Taffazzul Rizvi said the release of a medical report of any player was nothing unusual and had been done in the past.
Akhtar had said he had a skin infection but a three-member medical panel of the PCB released a statement saying he was suffering from "genital viral warts" for which the bowler needed atleast 12 days rest.