Objections to unified championship dismissed

<img border='0' align='left' title=' ' src=' ' class='caption'> FIDE President dismisses objections of 20 leading GMs over plans which they say will sideline them from the world championship for 3 years.

Updated: February 25, 2007 09:27 IST
  • Total Shares

Elista, Russia:

International Chess Federation (FIDE) President Kirsan Ilyumzhinov today dismissed the objections of 20 leading Grandmasters over plans which they say will sideline them from the world championship for three years. Ilyumzhinov last month announced that rival claimants to the world title including Garry Kasparov and the present holder Ruslan Ponomaryov had agreed to play off against each other in order to bring the crown under sole FIDE auspices. A group of GMs, headed by India's Viswanathan Anand, the world-ranking number three, complained earlier this month that "sports principles would be violated" by the proposals. Most of the world's top players "will have no opportunity to take part in the world championship until 2005", they told FIDE in an open letter. But Ilyumzhinov stressed that a new world championship cycle would begin in mid-2003. The players "will get their chance to take part in a new two-and-a-half year cycle beginning next summer, with the new champion to be decided by 2005," he told reporters in Elista, capital of the southern republic of Kalmykia, of which he is president. (PTI)

For the latest Sports news , like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and get the NDTV Cricket app for Android or iOS

  • Chess

Leave a comment