Indian boxer MC Mary Kom, who claimed her first Asian Games gold at Incheon, as the five-time World Champion, defeated Kazakhstan's Zhaina Shekerbekova 2-0, with one judge scoring the bout 38-38 in Incheon on Wednesday. India's top boxer, who now has a film based on her life, received a lot of praise from Bollywood stars after her historic win.
She spoke exclusively to NDTV after her successful campaign in Incheon. Here are some of the highlights.
- Asian Games gold medal is a happy moment for me. After Olympics, this is the first big competition.
- To come back after two years after Olympic bronze was tough.
- To comeback as a mom after Olympics was really difficult. People are always negative. My passion helped me return.
- People said Mary Kom can't fight again, she will never win a medal for India. This was a great challenge for me.
- Fighting in a higher weight category is always tough. But that's the way it is.
- I am not a tall boxer. But if you are aggressive, you can fight in any weight category.
- Felt sorry for Sarita Devi. She was cheated for sure.
- I have three kids. If you want to box, you have to sacrifice a lot of things like family.
- If you have a good husband, if you have a good family, every woman can do what she wants.
- It was difficult for my husband to change diapers. But for the love he will do everything.
- Cheating in boxing is nothing new. Koreans have cheated in other disciplines too.
- I would not have refused a medal like Sarita Devi. But it was her way of proving a point.